There’s no denying it, moms know a thing or two when it comes to creating sheer deliciousness that one can enjoy in the autumn months.
Every year, as the leaves started to turn, we would take a day trip to the countryside and pic our favourite apples. From October to January we could always be guaranteed a few cakes and tartes (most often accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice). And, you can best believe that our plates were wiped clean.
This apple cake brings back so many fond memories and will be sure to leave you asking for a second slice.
- Preheat your oven to 200c and prepare your baking vehicle by lining it with parchment paper.
- Carefully slice your apples, either with a paring knife, or a mandoline (please do be careful with the latter, it really is no fun to shave off a piece of your thumb in the process).
- Add a squeeze of lemon to keep the apples from browning as you prepare the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the sugar and oil until combined. Add the eggs, vanilla sugar, and your premixed dry ingredients (flour, flax seed and pumpkin pie spice).
- Once the batter is formed, fold in the apples until each slice is coated.
- Finally, pop your batter into the mold, and into the oven it goes for 40-50 minutes.
Et voilà ! Your kitchen now smells amazing (you’re most welcome!) and you have something delectable to accompany a hot cup of tea on a chilly Sunday afternoon. Merci maman !