Are you feeling cold, a little blue and generally ready for winter to get out of town? Well, you’re in luck because this vegan sweet potato & parsnip soup will lift your spirits and trick you into thinking you’re on some warm island soaking up the sun (remember the sun? Neither do I.).
If that weren’t enough, this soup pretty much lends itself to any root vegetable sulking at the bottom of your fridge and or cupboard. So go wild and swap out a couple sweet potatoes for normal ones or perhaps add in some carrot or butternut squash.
- Cut and peel all your ingredients into sized pieces. I would suggest bite sized, but it all depends how lazy you’re feeling. As long as they’re roughly the same size, to ensure an even cooking time, you’re gold.
- Drizzle a little olive oil in a rather large pot. Add your onions and garlic, sweating them out over medium heat. Once your eyes are crying from the onion steam rising from your pot, add your spices.
- Gently dump your root vegetables into the mix and stir until everything is coated with spices.
- This is when things start smelling godlike and you’ll want to pour in your stock, followed by the coconut milk.
- Give it a good stir à la Pat Sajak on The Wheel of Fortune and let it do it’s thing over low heat.
- Once the vegetables are tender, 30 minutes should do the trick, you can blend everything with the tool of your choice and tuck in!
As simple as that! A vegan sweet potato & parsnip soup to hug your insides on a chilly winter’s day. Recently, I’ve been making it on Sundays for the week ahead. It pares beautifully with fresh bread and a slice (or two) of Apple cake.